- American Collin Morikawa has won the US PGA title at the Barracuda Championship.
- Fagu Chauhan, a six-time member of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly, was sworn in as the 29th Governor of Bihar.
- ICC officially launched the inaugural World Test Championship (WTC), which will get underway on 1 August 2019.
Mohammed Rafi (24 December 1924 – 31 July 1980) was an Indian playback singer.
One of the most popular singers of the Hindi film industry, Rafi was notable for his versatility; his songs ranged from classical numbers to patriotic songs, sad lamentations to highly romantic numbers, qawwalis to ghazals and bhajans.
Joanne ‘Jo‘ Rowling, OBE, FRSL (born 31 July 1965), pen names J. K. Rowling and Robert Galbraith, is a British novelist, screenwriter and film producer best known as the author of the Harry Potter fantasy series.
- 2012 American swimmer Michael Phelps broke the record for the most medals won at the Olympics. As of 2015, he has won 22 Olympic medals.
- 2006 Fidel Castro handed over power to his younger brother Raúl Castro due to his illness. Raúl Castro was officially elected President in 2008.