- Former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Babulal Gaur passed away.
- Former India paceman Shanthakumaran Sreesanth’s life ban has been reduced to 7 years.
- Indian Railway’s 2nd double-decker Uday (Utkrisht Double-Decker Air Conditioned Yatri) Express will run between Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada.
Madras Day is a festival organized to commemorate the founding of the city of Madras (now Chennai) in Tamil Nadu, India.
A small group of people who love this city launched a unique celebration in 2004.
- 1979 Died : James T. Farrell, American writer and poet, best remembered for the Studs Lonigan trilogy, that was made into a film and television series.
- 1978 Died : Jomo Kenyatta, Kenyan politician, the 1st President of independent Kenya from 1963 till his death. He is often considered to be the founding father of the Kenyan nation.